The
online environment "promotes cursory reading, hurried and distracted
thinking, and superficial learning," argues Nicholas Carr, who raises
concerns about the long-term implications in The Shallows: What the Internet
Is Doing to Our Brain, which was published in June. "The danger is you
don't encourage people to think critically and, ultimately, you don't encourage
them to think creatively." (Marklein, 2010, More May Not Be Better
section, para. 2)
There are surprisingly few research studies examining the
difference in comprehension and retention when reading in print versus electronic
formats. This may be due to the relatively recent explosion in digital reading
options and adoption by the public. It also appears that many studies looking
at the impact of this technology are currently taking place, although findings
have not been published. However, available research paints a mixed, if not
wary, picture of the role of eBooks in learning.
Not all eBooks are created equal. Some electronic
resources include only the text in digital form. Other eBooks include bells and
whistles like hyperlinks, videos, animation, sound and music. According to Marklein
(2010, More May Not Be Better, para. 1), a 2005 review by researchers at
Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada, of 38 studies found "very little
support" for the idea that all those links to additional information
enrich the reader's experience. A 2007 study published in Media Psychology
raised similar concerns about add-ons such as sound and animation.
Distraction is often cited as one of the main hurdles
when using eBooks. The options in eBooks can pull readers away from the text,
not to mention the availability of the Internet at large, in most formats. As
distractions increase, the opportunity for deep understanding decreases.“The
attention span of children may be one of the main reasons why an immersion in
on-screen reading is so engaging, and it may also be why digital reading may
ultimately prove antithetical to the long-in-development, reflective nature of
the expert reading brain as we know it.” (Wolf, 2009, Beyond Decoding Words
section, para. 9)
Print resources have a “spatial advantage” over
electronic formats, according to Jones (2010). Information is organized in
books in a fixed way that is easy to find again. Readers remember the location
of a fact or quote by where it appears on the printed page. Electronic texts
have pages that look the same, making retrieval more difficult.
Gelernter
(2009, The Book Made Better, para. 5) talks about another problem with
electronic resources, the cheapening of the word. “…you can practically see the text messages
buzz around the room and bounce off the walls, each as memorable as a housefly;
where the narrowing time between writing for and publishing on the Web is
helping to kill the art of editing by crushing it to death. The Internet makes
words as cheap and as significant as Cheese Doodles. The
tools (as usual) are neutral. It’s up to us to insist that onscreen reading
enhance, not replace, traditional book reading. It’s up to us to remember that
the medium is not the message; that the meaning and music of the words is what
matters, not the glitzy vehicle they arrive in.”
Clearly,
the jury is still out on eBooks and learning. It will be interesting to see
what impacts and advantages become apparent as we examine eBooks from a future
vantage point.
Jones,
John. (2010) Ebooks and learning. Retrieved from http://www.dmlcentral.net/blog/john-jones/ebooks-and-learning
Liu, A., Aamodt, S., Wolf, M., Gelernter, D. & Mark, G. (2009,
October 14) Does the brain like ebooks? The New York Times Retrieved
from http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/does-the-brain-like-e-books/
Marklein, Mary Beth. (2010, August 10) Can college students learn
as well on iPads, ebooks? USA Today Retrieved from http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-08-10-ebooklearning10_CV_N.htm
This is really interesting! I know that I personally feel like I retain more information when I can see something in print form. For school, I am constantly printing things off: rubrics, powerpoints, assignment descriptions, etc. I know that you can buy many textbooks now as e-books and I just think that it would be so difficult to stay on task and comprehend the information. I am glad to see that I am not the only person that is like this! This is great that there is actual research on this topic. I think a lot of people love everything to be tech-savvy, but you must admit there is a little magic in actually opening and turning the pages in a print book (and much less distractions).
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way. It is good that "digital natives," who grew up with computers, feel so comfortable reading in this form. However, the level of comprehension may suffer. I was interested to find so much research in this area, since it is something I often think about.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the information about the spatial advantage of print is very interesting. I think books also provide a certain tactile experience that is really missing with an e-reader-- it sounds strange, but I don't like how an e-reader looks and feels the same to me no matter how far along I am in my book. With a paper book, the left side gets bigger as I read, and I like being able to see my progress at a glance. It's odd how even the most trivial detail can so fundamentally change the reading process.
ReplyDeleteLooks like it isn't just me! I found an interesting paper about one possible future for e-books (as a platform for content management, rather than simply as an extension to the traditional publishing model), and it touched a bit on some of the disadvantages of e-books, which included the lack of "haptic feedback." The paper also pointed out that people tend to thumb through a book quickly when deciding whether to purchase it, something you obviously can't do as easily with an e-book. Turns out that these trivial details aren't actually that trivial.
DeleteSource:
Roa, S.S. (2003). Electronic Books: A New Genre of Content Management. Retrieved April 12, 2012 from http://www.saoug.org.za/archive/2003/0306.pdf
Thanks for the extra info Stephanie! - Sara Magnuson
DeleteI have not researched this topic,but I would argue "there is a time and place for everything". I understand we have to be abreast of new developments and embrace it at times. Our brains has become accustomed to knowing/understanding "opening a book" means concentration and indulge in the writing. eBook are on the devices we play games, surf the Internet, and so on. Psychologically I dont think our brain is completely "there". We have the option to stop and browse. Even if it was sanitary I don't think we would really enjoy eating our meal off our ipads. eBook are in such an early stage; our brains have grasped this new concept. There are so many worldy factors that sdevelopment.
DeleteFrom Sara Magnuson:
ReplyDeleteThis post provided lots of useful information for me as a youth parapro. I can talk until I'm blue in the face about the importance of reading aloud to a child, sharing books together, talking about illustrations. If I don't have hard data as to why the TV and computer can't do this job for them, parents just shrug it off. Your info on spatial placement is great "thought fodder" - throw it our there that we remember things by where they are physically located and e-books affect our recall. Spatial awareness skills are on the decline with the lack of outdoor play, less competitive sports, less rough housing. Too much screen time affects critical thinking skills no matter how old you are. I will definitely be throwing out these info bits to parents.
I agree that some important skills are being lost for kids as they have less unstructured play time, more screen time, etc. It is all part of the same cultural shift and I wish there was a bit more questioning of the trends and wondering about the overall value. The more we are armed with tidbits to share, the better! :)
ReplyDelete